Lions Seal Valuable Points In Tight Encounter

Lions FC 2 (Farina 40′; Beakhurst 50′)

Logan Lightning 2 (Edgar 78′)

HT 1-0

Goals on either side of halftime from Jordan Farina and Finn Beakhurst proved enough for Lions to seal a much-needed victory on Saturday night over Logan Lightning.

Farina fired the hosts in front five minutes before the break when played in by Andy Thompson and drilling a low shot from just outside the box that beat Lightning keeper Matt Lugo to nestle in the bottom corner of the goal.

The lead was doubled five minutes after the halftime interval when a good run down the left from Max Mikkola saw him play the ball into the box for Zach Maltby who in turn cut the ball back for Beakhurst who had time to pick his spot and make it 2-0.

Adam Edgar pulled one back on 78 minutes for Lightning following an overhit free-kick that was cleared only as far as Liam Goulding whose ball back into the box was heading home unmarked by the Lightning striker.

The game started brightly and it was the visitors who took the early ascendancy of proceedings with Lions keeper Luke Borean, sporting a clean shaved face that was once covered by his trademark beard, tested twice in the space of three minutes, both times coming from Edgar headers. The second of which on 13 minutes requiring a super save low down at his near post.

The hosts went close midway through the half to open the scoring. Beakhurst nutmegging his opponent and curling his effort onto the corner of the crossbar before appeals for handball in the box were met with deathly silence from Referee Casey Reibelt.

Moments after Beakhurst’s second-half goal, the game heated up when Farina bundled into the back of Lightning defender Max Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald taking a disliking to the roughshod tactics dished out by Farina and retaliated with a push on the Lions striker that nearly sparked a melee.

Both players are fortunate not to earn a yellow ticket each which for Fitzgerald would have spelt the end of his evening having earlier been cautioned.

The game grew to epic proportions near the end. Lightning pressing for a leveller in the final minutes and seeing a goalmouth scramble cleared away after Lions managed to block a series of shots.

At the other end, the home side went close themselves to making sure of the points.

Substitute Alex Feichtner flicking the ball on for Mikkola who strode towards goal and smashed his effort off the upright. In added time Shaun Carlos almost made sure of the points when picking up Feichtner’s ball to him but his effort took a touch off Lugo before heading across goal and just wide of the post.

The final whistle eventually coming after some five minutes of added time, to the relief of the Lions players and officials.

Despite the early pressure, Lions swung the balance of play away from Lightning and had the better of the chances second half.

The next outing for Lions will see them head to basement dwellers Redlands Utd where they will be keen to ensure another three points head their way.

Team Line ups:

Lions FC:

Borean (gk), Simic, Jarrard, Thompson, Duckworth, Farina, Minett, Beakhurst, McGrath, Mikkola, Maltby.

Subs: Oestrich (rgk), Janovsky, Feichtner, Sauverain, Docherty, Carlos.

Logan Lightning:

Lugo (gk), Simpson, Goulding, Green, Borg, Edgar, Smith, Palmer, Sheriff, Brown, Fitzgerald.

Subs: Gonpue, Kerambrun, Bigirindavyi, Cowley, Sharma, Fisher.

Referee: Casey Reibelt

Share Article

Related Articles